The Ultimate Guide to Composite Slat Fencing
If you’re looking to add value to your home and increase privacy and security, composite slat fencing is an affordable and popular option.
This fencing style is favoured for its clean, straight lines which encourage airflow and privacy. Because horizontal slat fencing isn’t a solid style like its alternatives, these panels can offer a more decorative appearance without jeopardising practicality.
Updating or adding fencing to properties is one of Australia’s top renovation projects. And with the $32 billion home renovation market continuing to boom over the next 12 months, now is a good time to consider slat fencing. Here’s everything you need to know before you make the investment:
Composite Slat Fencing: The Benefits
Slat fencing is popular amongst homeowners and renters because it’s low maintenance, easy to install and durable. Slats are mounted between pillars to create a decorative privacy screen around your home or outdoor space.
Composite timber slat fencing is a more advanced material of the fencing style with greater benefits. Some of its advantages include:
- Real Wood-Look: Mimics the look and feel of real timber, without the hassle of upkeep.
- Highly Robust, Low-Maintenance: Does not warp, rot, corrode of fade over time. Composite fencing won’t need painting or sealing as its immune to all hazards that break down timber. It’s also UV and fade-resistance to ensure it’ll stand up to Australia’s harsh elements throughout the year.
- Attractive: Choice of natural wood colours, painted shades and various styles to compliment any home’s existing architecture. Slat panels can be horizontal or vertical.
- Easy to Install and Repair: Ideal for DIY or can be easily installed by your local fencing contractor. If slats become damaged, they may be repaired or replaced individually.
- Cost-Effective: In comparison to wrought iron or real wood, composite slat fencing is a cost-effective alternative. Because it’s maintenance-free, money and time is also saved long-term, as regular staining and painting is expensive.
- Increased Privacy: Slat fencing creates a barrier between your house and prying eyes. Small gaps in the slats offer privacy and security, without disrupting airflow.
- Environmentally-Friendly: Composite blends use natural and recycled wood waste fibres and plastic fibres for a sustainable fencing solution.
Composite Construction and Other Materials
Wood is a historical favourite for fencing materials because of its rustic charm. But regular painting and upkeep, as well as termite issues, can make it a costly and time-consuming choice.
Composite Slat Fencing
Composite slat fencing is made from a composite material, usually wood plastic, that combines a mixture of wood fibres to achieve a wood-like product, without the maintenance and drawbacks.
Unlike its labour-intensive alternative, traditional timber fencing, composite fencing doesn’t need pricey products to preserve its wood-like beauty and elegant appeal.
Higher quality composites offer the aesthetic benefits of timber, including the grain’s colour variations and grooves, that cannot be achieved through some lower quality composites.
Aluminium Slat Fencing
Aluminium is also a popular material for horizontal slat fencing. Iron and metal fencing is well-suited to contemporary architecture, but like traditional wood, it can be prone to a lot of maintenance and expensive price tags.
Whilst it’s more expensive than timber, aluminium slat fencing is the better alternative for homeowners that want to mimic the appeal of steel fencing.
Powder-coated aluminium slat fencing offers minimal maintenance and decorative designs. These slatted panels are coated for protection and colour integrity, preventing it from warping and rusting.
What to Consider Pre-Build
Before you put shovel to dirt, check the local regulations for fencing in your area. Each location has different requirements for fence height and slat spacing.
If you’re erecting a dividing fence, speak with your neighbours. Costs may be shared between parties. It’s always a good idea to discuss fencing plans with them and get an agreement in writing. This helps to eliminate fence line disputes down the track.
Composite Slat Fencing for Your Outdoor Space
Horizontal slat fencing offers a great way to increase your home’s character and charm. Homeowners who invest in composite slats boost the property’s value, whilst embracing durability and aesthetic versatility.
Whether you’re looking to sell your home or inject some TLC into it for your own benefits, investing in the outdoor space is one of the most popular home renovations.
If you want to install strong fencing that matches with multiple architectural styles, composite slat fencing is a smart consideration. How will you be revamping your outdoor space? Leave your comments below.